Tired of the same old hike? Looking for somewhere different to explore the great outdoors with your family? Then look no further than West Virginia. From sandy trails along mountain streams, to densely wooded paths full of wildlife and stunning views, there's something truly special about hiking in this beautiful state. So grab your boots and come read on - we've rounded up some of our favorite family-friendly hiking trails in West Virginia so you can plan your ideal outdoor adventure!
West Virginia is home to many beautiful hiking trails that offer a variety of landscapes and experiences. Here are a few of the top hiking trails in the state:
- The Appalachian Trail: This iconic 2,192-mile trail runs through the eastern United States and passes through West Virginia.
- The Monongahela National Forest: This forest is home to more than 1,000 miles of hiking trails, including the popular Dolly Sods Wilderness Area, which offers a challenging backcountry experience.
- The New River Gorge National River: This national river is home to a variety of trails, including the popular Endless Wall Trail, which offers stunning views of the New River Gorge.
- The Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge: This refuge is home to a variety of trails, including the popular Blackwater Falls State Park Trail, which leads to a beautiful waterfall.
- The Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area: This recreation area is home to a variety of trails, including the popular Spruce Knob Summit Trail, which offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
There are many reasons to love hiking in West Virginia, from the breathtaking scenery to the feeling of being one with nature. If you’re looking for a place to relax and find your zen, there’s no better place than out on the trails. So what are you waiting for? lace up your hiking boots and explore all that West Virginia has to offer!