Are you an outdoor enthusiast looking for the perfect hiking trails in South Carolina? You’ve come to the right place! Sit back, strap on your hiking boots, and get ready because we’re setting out on a journey into the breathtaking beauty of South Carolina’s diverse terrain. From low-country swamps and coves filled with hidden treasures to gentle mountain passes that offer sweeping vistas, there is something for every type of hiker in this beautiful state. Whether you are planning a day trip or mapping out a longer excursion through multiple landscapes, we have got all the information you need to make it happen! Join us as we explore some popular route options and uncover new treasure troves while traveling along these magical trails.
South Carolina is home to many beautiful hiking trails that offer a variety of landscapes and experiences. Here are a few of the top hiking trails in the state:
- The Foothills Trail: This 70-mile trail runs through the Blue Ridge Mountains and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape. The trail is suitable for experienced hikers and can take several days to complete.
- The Caesar's Head State Park: This park is home to more than 50 miles of hiking trails, including the popular Raven Cliff Falls Trail, which leads to a beautiful waterfall.
- The Jones Gap State Park: This park is home to a variety of trails, ranging from easy to strenuous. The park is known for its waterfalls, streams, and diverse plant and animal life.
- The Congaree National Park: This park is home to more than 25 miles of hiking trails, including the popular Boardwalk Loop, which offers a chance to explore the park's old-growth forest.
- The Table Rock State Park: This park is home to a variety of trails, including the popular Pinnacle Mountain Trail, which leads to the summit of Table Rock Mountain and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
South Carolina has a lot to offer hikers of all levels, from easy nature walks to strenuous multi-day hikes. And there are plenty of reasons to hit the trails in this state, including stunning views, a chance to see wildlife up close, and the opportunity to unwind in beautiful surroundings. So if you’re looking for a way to relax and get some exercise, why not give hiking a try? South Carolina is an ideal place to do it.
|Battery Warren||Hiking trail in Francis Marion National Forest|
|Battlefield Trail||Historic trail through Rivers Bridge State Historic Site|
|Big Bend Trail||Trail to Big Bend Falls and the Chattooga River|
|Bill Kimball - Coldspring Branch Loop||Loop around El Lieutenant in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area|
|Blue Ridge Railroad Historical Trail||Hiking trail from Stumphouse Mountain to the suburbs of Walhalla|
|Buncombe Trail||Long loop through a mixed forest|
|Chattooga Trail||Trail along the Chattooga River|
|Coon Branch Trail - Lower Whitewater Falls Spur||Trail to Coon Branch Natural Area and the Lower Whitewater Falls Overlook|
|Eastatoe Creek Trail||Hiking trail within Eastatoe Creek Heritage Preserve|
|East Fork Trail||Hiking trail along the east fork of the Chattooga River|
|Falls Creek Trail - Hospital Rock Trail||Hike on a mountain trail over a ridge|
|Foothills Trail - Chattooga Valley||The portion of the Foothills trail that runs through Chattooga Valley|
|Foothills Trail - Gum Gap||Hiking trail from Gum Gap to Sassafras Mountain|
|Foothills Trail - Jocassee Gorges||The portion of the Foothills Trail along Lake Jocassee and its gorges|
|Foothills Trail - Sassafras Mountain||Hike to the top of the tallest mountain in South Carolina|
|Fork Mountain Trail||Hiking trail along Fork Mountain and the Chattooga River|
|Jones Gap Trail||Hiking trail from Jones Gap State Park to Caesars Head State Park|
|Lee Falls Trail||Hiking trail to the stunning and secluded Lee Falls|
|Lick Fork Lake||Hiking loop along Lick Fork Creek and Lick Fork Lake|
|Long Cane Trail||Long hiking loop that passes through Long Cane Scenic Area|
|Naturaland Trust Trail||Trail from Caesars Head to Raven Cliff Falls|
|Parsons Mountain||Loop trail up Parsons Mountain and around its lake|
|Peachtree Rock Trail||Hike to two interesting rock formations via two short loop trails|
|Pinnacle Pass Trail||Difficult hike over mountains and ridges|
|Rainbow Falls||Hiking trail in Camp Greenville|
|Rim of the Gap Trail||Difficult hike from Caesars Head State Park to Jones Gap State Park|
|Sewee Shell Mound Interpretive Trail||Interpretive loop trail through Francis Marion Park|
|Turkey Creek Trail||Peaceful creekside trail|
|Winding Stairs Trail||Trail past the stunning Miuka Falls|
|Yellow Branch Falls Trail||Hike to Yellow Branch Falls|
|Yellow Branch Nature Trail||Nature trail in the Sumter National Forest|